Diabetes, is a group of metabolic diseases in which there are high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period. If left untreated, diabetes can cause many complications. Diabetes is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced.
Siddha medicines strengthen the pancreas, regulate smooth flow of insulin and enhance glucose tolerance. In siddha, diabetes is known by different names such as MadhuMegham, Pramagham, Neerizhivu, etc.
Due to our faulty lifestyle, these days diabetes is attacking people 10 years before in comparison to the past where it was generally seen people after 50 years. But in the modern culture, you may see people of 30’s with sugar. The main important reasons of diabetes are:
There are two main types of Diabetes mellitus (DM) :
Type 1 DM results from the pancreas’s failure to produce enough insulin. This form was previously referred to as “insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (IDDM) or “juvenile diabetes”. The cause is unknown.
Type 2 DM begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin properly. As the disease progresses a lack of insulin may also develop. This form was previously referred to as “non-insulin- dependent diabetes mellitus” (NIDDM) or “adult-onset diabetes”. The primary cause is excessive body weight and not enough exercise
It stimulates the pancreas, spleen and activates immune system by massaging all the internal organs including pancreas. It also rejuvenates the mind.
Avoid practicing Halasanam during neck injury, spinal disorders, diarrhea, menstruation, pregnancy and high blood pressure.
Improves digestion and appetite improves the functioning of pancreas, liver, enzyme producing organs, kidney and intestines. Helpful in stimulating the reproductive organs.
Avoid practicing dhanurasanam during high blood pressure, back pain, hernia, headache, migraine and abdominal surgery.
Avoid this asanam in high blood pressure, Slip disc, gastritis, pregnancy and menstruation.
Avoid this asana in spinal injuries and back pain.
1. Bitter gourd: Bitter gourd juice is helpful in treating of diabetes. How to use? Extract half cup of fresh bitter gourd juice. Drink it in the morning.
2. Bengal gram: It helps in glucose tolerance. How to use? Eat Bengal gram (channa) twice or thrice a day.
3. Fenugreek water: Regular drinking of methi water is helpful in controlling of diabetes. How to use? Dissolve about 11/2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds into one cup of water before going to bed. Drink its water empty stomach in the morning.
4. Neem leaves: Neem leaves are one of the effective means to combat diabetes. How to use? Chew it in the morning and sip its juice. The chewing and followed by eating of Neem and Bilva leaves also show fruitful result. Chew 3 leaves each of Neem, Belpatras and basil and eat this along with one glass of water in the morning.
5. Amla (Indian Gooseberry): Amla is rich in vitamin C and therapeutically, it is good for diabetic patients. How to use? Regular intake of Indian gooseberry juice helps in lowering of sugar by making active and refreshes the pancreatic cells. The mix of honey (1tsp), turmeric powder (1/2 tsp) and dried Indian gooseberry powder (1tsp) if taken twice a day, is helpful in management of sugar level.